July 17, 2008

Day 25: 8 May- Lauzerte to Moissac

There was a lot of evidence today that this area has the climate and rich soil for cultivation.
The path was 'undulating', changing catchments from the Lot to the Garonne. It was an interesting walk, but one that was on the hard road surface a lot, and my feet had some renewed tenderness by the time I had reached the outskirts of Moissac.Then came another of these very individual 'rest areas', not an unusual sight in France... sometimes very simple and occasionally quite elaborate, where someone has put themselves out to make pilgrims welcome.

My feet were sore and it seemed like maybe a blister was close to forming, so I sank gratefully onto this simple seat. I had a drink, took off my shoes and socks, and made some running repairs with plaster.
Then I gratefully ate one of the sweets someone had left here, put on my shoes, socks and pack again, and had renewed energy for the last few km walking in the city of Moissac itself. The person who made this simple seat might never know how welcome some pilgrims find it....

And what a treat I had in store yet.... I was staying at the "Ultreia" gite owned by an Irish couple, whose welcome was warm and personal. And in English! There was sunshine, and a shared meal on tables in the back garden in the evening....

No comments:

Post a Comment